Cache and Carry!

Lots of activity on the mountain as good weather is holding! It looks like they will have a storm front moving in, but significant storms are not expected. If the weather is good, and the team is feeling good, they will continue to push forward! **Late update on 5/27–Looks like they will take a rest day tomorrow* Continue reading “Cache and Carry!”

Cache Retrieved, Likely a Rest Day

Yesterday the team once again woke up to cold temps– this time 0°F.  Brrrrr. They went back to their cache they had buried at 10,000 feet and hauled it back to Camp 2.

After getting the cache to camp, they fortified the walls around their tent.  Whenever they set up camp, they have to build snow walls around the whole tent, as high as the tent, to protect it from the high mountain winds.

I got a message from Jay before bed saying it was dumping snow. The forecasts I saw said today was higher in snow and wind before the weather calms down for a few days, so it might be a rest day for them today. I have not gotten any messages yet,  so we will have to wait and see!

Camp 1- Arrived!

After landing on the glacier at BaseCamp (7,200) around 1:00pm, a few things had to be done.  They cached some drinks (remember that fireball and margaritas?), some food, and some fuel. This is because when the return they may need to wait a day or two (or more if a big storm rolls through) and they don’t want to carry the weight of things they wont be using. Continue reading “Camp 1- Arrived!”

Up, Up, and Away!

Beth again!

Friday was a hard day (well for me saying goodbye to Jay).

Despite a late night pizza and packing party, everyone was up early.  Jason and Brent made some nose guards (to protect their noses from sunburn). Everyone sent out final emails and instructions for work.

The guys were antsy and ready to get going, so we left with time to spare. Continue reading “Up, Up, and Away!”